Saturday, January 9, 2010

Bon Voyage

The dance has ended. The last awkward and unbalanced steps were painfully performed for both of our families during the holidays and then he went home to work while the kids and I stayed on in New Hampshire with the intention of returning a week or two later. Now he asks that we not return, that he be allowed to prepare for his deployment without the misery that my presence causes him. He is angry and launches a verbal attack on my character, on my failings, on everything I have given this family during the six years of our marriage. He rejects the notion that I love him and predicts that I will take him for all he’s worth in court. I sit on the other end of the phone hearing the pain and anger in his voice, my insides churning, my heart in anguish for him, for me, for the children. I am able somehow, in the midst of this unloving barrage, to feel a calm understanding of what he is doing and why he needs to do it. He needs to free himself of me in order to heal. He needs to be angry so that he will not be made vulnerable by his love for me. He needs to believe that I have used him to keep a roof over my head, that I plan to rake him over the coals in divorce court, that I have single handedly ruined the family that he is supposed to have. He is hardening himself against me.
There is only one small blessing that will come from his six month deployment to Afghanistan: that I will not be able to torture him by succumbing to my sadness and loneliness, that I will not be able to call him with the selfish need to tell him I love him, I miss him, his smell, his hug, his companionship. There is one great fear that haunts me: that he will die in Afghanistan.
A friend just gave birth to her second child in the thresh hold between her living room and kitchen. Not exactly where she had planned, but it was time RIGHT THEN and everyone adapted to what was inevitable. Holding her four day old son in my arms and listening to her birthing story, I was transported back to my own labors and those sensations normally kept under lock and key by biological necessity, come back in small increments. I realize that where we have been in our marriage is akin to the crowning during birth. The head needs to come past the pubic bone, the pelvis needs to expand the last little bit, the skin of the perineum needs to stretch a little more and it feels like none of these things is possible. The pain, aptly called the ring of fire, is unbelievable and the fear that you might split in two is very real. I remember being terrified of pushing, of increasing that pain, but I knew I had to do it for there to be progress. Those pushes that moved my babies heads down and into the world required the most strength and trust I have ever had to summon.
I told the kids this morning that we will not be going back to North Carolina, that their papa is leaving on another long work trip, that he loves them very much, that we both love them very much. I told them papa and I are having a hard time being married. My daughter who’s emotions are readily available at the drop of a hat, cried. My son said the same thing he did when I told him his great nana had passed: “ That’s not sad for me!”
I left the room to stir the oatmeal and when I came back he was standing alone with his finger in his belly button. I drew him to me and he began to cry. We all cried a little together and then went on with our morning. This is what it will be like for us, I thought. Later we called their father and they expressed their sadness. Then my daughter said, “I don’t remember what your face looks like.” My insides crumpled for him. It’s only been five days since she’s seen him, of course she remembers him, but I know this statement has played on one of his worst fears and I imagine him being in our big house alone contemplating all that he has lost and there isn’t a damn thing I can do. I haven’t been able to make him feel better in years so really this isn’t a new handicap yet it continues to cause me heartache and seems alien to the essence of my being as a woman. I suppose that in time this particular pain will ease for both of us, that eventually some other woman will open her arms to him, nurture and love him as he deserves. I am less sure that I will be able to love and give like that again. I feel broken down and undesirable. I could find ten guys, in one night out, who would want to take me home. Who might fancy themselves fortunate to call me a girlfriend, but when they find out who I really am, how my mind works, what my requirements are, how fiercely I value my autonomy, how my energy will mainly flow to my children, how I am hurting for an obsolete marriage, then they will count themselves lucky to slip out in the morning without leaving so much as a phone number.
Ah, but that feeling is thankfully not constant and I can catch glimpses of this confident, beautiful, powerful, bright woman with bold ideas and a wonderfully open mind and heart who has just set out on a terrifically exciting journey.
Pack your bags folks. Here we go.

No comments: